View our Getting Started Guide for iPad.
As of April 1, 2014, George Mason University no longer issues or provides University-owned wireless communication devices and related services for individual employees. Instead, the University offers a stipend for business use of wireless communication devices.
The university will continue to provide cell phones in very unique circumstances. Two examples are:
- Police department
- Athletics coaches for Title IX compliance
Please contact your Telecom Coordinator for more information.
AT&T Mobility offers discounts to George Mason University faculty, staff, and students for personal phones. Go to http://att.com/wireless/georgemason to order online or contact Gabriel Murphy at 703-273-9700 (office), or by email at email@example.com
Sprint offers discounts to University employees. Go to http://www.sprint.com/gmu for further information.
Verizon Wireless offers discounts to George Mason University employees. Contact Joseph Jones, Verizon Wireless, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. As an existing Verizon Wireless customer, or as a new one, you can obtain your discount by going to http://www.verizonwireless.com/getdiscounts.
If your Mason-owned iPad (tablet or similar device) is enabled with 3G or 4G service for either AT&T or Verizon Wireless, you have the option to enroll in a University data service plan. Monthly charges are billed back to the department utilizing the same billing method that is used for office and cell phones. Enrollment in a University data plan is mandatory when the use of the data plan is for at least three consecutive months, or when service is expected to be needed for six or more months within a twelve-month period. If you plan to use a data plan on a limited basis in one or two month increments, then the charges can be billed to your P-Card as non-recurring charges.
Data plans and terms are specific to the carrier that supports the iPad. Plans are NOT interchangeable between carriers, and you CANNOT convert an iPad to a different carrier. If you plan to use your iPad overseas, then AT&T is the carrier to choose.
The information below represents the plan options available.
Completion of the Data Plan Request form is used to initiate your service. NOTE that this form requires the approval/signature of your Telecom Coordinator. Approval from the Office of Sponsored Programs is required ONLY if payment is from a funded grant (codes that start with a 2).
AT&T data plans:
- Unlimited domestic data: $37.99
- International Add-On data plans (no early termination fee). Packages provide discounted data rates in more than 120 countries. For a listing of countries and carriers included in the data global add-on packages, visit http://att.com/globalcountries (non-covered countries: $.0195/kb). One month minimum required. Discounted countries/carriers subject to change. Must be added to existing domestic data plan. Overage: $30/120mb.
- Data global add-on 120mb: $ 30.00
- Data global add-on 300mb: $ 60.00
- Data global add-on 800mb: $120.00
Verizon Wireless data plan:
- Unlimited 3G domestic data: $35.36
- Unlimited 4G domestic data: $42.61
MiFi devices or aircards can be purchased to create hotspots for iPads that do not have the built-in 3G or 4G capability. These devices are available through AT&T and Verizon Wireless.